Transport of Delight

Museums 1

1: Clapham Museum

These photographs fall into three groups, as follows.

(a) May 1961.

In 1960/61, I had the good fortune to work at Clapham Museum
with an LRTL party involved in the restoration of Feltham 2099,
which had returned from Leeds as their 501. This vehicle was
later restored as to original condition as MET 355.

At that time, the museum was not open to the public and the
first series of photographs in this gallery were taken with the
preserved vehicles roughly marshalled for access etc.

There are 22 photographs in this section.

(b) August 1961.

To my great surprise, I discovered these photographs in my
archive in 2007. They had never been printed off but with some
assistance from Photoshop Elements to restore them, they are
now displayed. There had been some shuffling of vehicles and
my views include a number of buses which were not in the
May views plus a number of new ones which had arrived.

There are 12 photographs in this section.

(c) April 1965.

These few transparencies give just an idea of the appearance
of the museum when it was open to the general public.

There are 5 photographs in this section.

2: Chessington Zoo

Although not a museum, Chessington Zoo played host to the preserved
London Transport HR2 tramcar no.1858 which was purchased privately in
1952 and remained at Chessington for many years; it is now restored and can
be seen in action at the East Anglian Transport Museum at Carlton Colville.

3: London Transport Museum, Covent Garden

This section shows just four ex-LT vehicles as they now are in the LT Museum
complex at Covent Garden. They were photographed in 2003 and it might
be of interest to compare the three which also appear at the beginning
of this gallery to see the changes.

Click on a thumbnail to open the image in a new browser window
Click on the Windows close button to return

Photographs © Geoff Bannister 2006
Back to Museums Index
Back to Transport of Delight Index

1: Clapham Museum: (a) May 1961 views

"Tramway Avenue"

(left to right)
Leeds 301
LT 1025
Bournemouth 24
LT 290
Sheffield 342



Another view of Feltham 2099

Next to it is LT trolleybus 260. This is a Class
C2 vehicle, an AEC 661T delivered in 1936.
It was withdrawn from service in 1959.

LCC/LT tram 1025 is one of 1000 Class E1
cars delivered between 1907 and 1930
and was built by the LCC in 1907 originally
without windscreens. It was withdrawn
almost at the end of tramway operation
in London in 1952 and is preserved in its
post-war condition.

It is now at the London Transport
Museum, Covent Garden.
See the LT Museum
photographs below.



Leeds 301 started life in 1932 as LCC car no.1,
the "Bluebird" prototype for a new fleet which
never materialised. It kept its number under
the LT and was sold to Leeds in 1951. After
Leeds closed in 1959, it came to Clapham
and later, restored to LT livery, moved to
the National Tramway Museum at Crich.
A second view of Leeds 301
and LT E1 1025 at the museum.



LT 290 was a car acquired from West Ham
Corporation when London Transport was
formed in 1933. It was built by UEC as
West Ham no.102 in 1910 and was
withdrawn from service in 1938. It
is now preserved in West Ham
livery at Covent Garden museum.
Sheffield car 342 was built in 1907 as
no.264. It was modernised during its life
with windscreens etc. and withdrawn
in 1956. After a stay at Clapham, Northern
Tramway Sponsors arranged its move
to the premises of the Consett Iron Co.
in 1967 but the car is now at Beamish.



Douglas Head Marine Drive no.1 was built
in 1896 for service on the Isle of Man.

It is now based at the National Tramway
Museum at Crich where it is the oldest
trolley-equipped car on site.

Line up of buses: (left to right)
ST 821
STL 469
LT 165
Q 55
CR 14
TF 77



LT 165 was one of the first batch of LGOC
LTs built with enclosed staircases in 1931
based on the AEC Renown 663 chassis.
It later received a diesel engine and was
among the very last vehicles withdrawn
at the beginning of 1950.

It is now at the London Transport
Museum at Covent Garden.
See the LT Museum
photographs below..

The TF class was a revolutionary new
version of the Leyland Tiger developed
in conjunction with LT incorporating
the first use of an underfloor engine.

TF 77, delivered in mid-1939 was one
of a batch of 75 designed for Greenline
coach work. Downgraded to Country
Area bus work in 1952, it was withdrawn
in April 1954. It is now based at the
LT Museum at Covent Garden.



Like the TFs, the CR class was a second
ground-breaking development by Leyland in association with LT, being the first rear-engined
bus design in the UK. CR 14 was delivered
in September 1939. The class spent most of
the war years in store and only a limited
number saw service after 1945. This vehicle
was used in the Country Area until 1953.

After being in Clapham Museum, it was sold
to a private owner in Chippenham.

An earlier attempt by LT to increase capacity
led to the AEC Q model 0762 which used an
engine mounted on the offside of the vehicle.
Versions were produced for Central and
Country buses and for Greenline coach
work. Q55 was one of a series for Country
area work, being built in September 1935
and taken out of stock in October 1953.

It is now part of the official
LT collection at Covent Garden,



Jersey Motor Transport 40 is a Leyland
Lion PLSC1 dating from 1928.

It is now at the Science Museum
large vehicles store at Wroughton.

A decidedly old-fashioned design for its
date, Ipswich 44 is a Ransomes trolleybus
built in 1930. The vehicle on the left of the
photograph was the fire engine used by the
Great Western Railway at Swindon Works.

The Ipswich trolleybus is now at the Science
Museum large vehicles store at Wroughton.



From 1939 to the closure of the system in
the 1960s, Brighton had two operators
involved with its trolleybuses - Brighton
Corporation and Brighton Hove & District.
The latter company contributed a much
smaller fleet to the system than the
municipal operator. BHD 6340 was an
AEC 661T model delivered in 1939.

This vehicle is now at the Science Museum
large vehicles store at Wroughton.


737 was a Class D 4-4-0 designed by
Wainwright for the South Eastern &
Chatham Railway and built at
Ashford Works in 1901. It passed to
the Southern Railway in 1923, first as
A737, later 1737 and then became
British Railways 31737, being
withdrawn from service in 1956.
Detail of the SECR coat of arms on the
splasher of Class D 4-4-0 no.737

This locomotive is now in the care of the
National Railway Museum at York.



Class T3 4-4-0 no.563 was designed by
Adams and built for the London &
South Western Railway at Nine Elms Works
in 1893. Under the SR, it became E563
and later 563 and was taken out of
service in 1945. At the time of this
photograph, this locomotive was
in undercoat.

This locomotive is now in the care of the
National Railway Museum at York.

Stroudley no.82 "Boxhill" was one of the
famous LBSCR Class A1 "Terrier" 0-6-0Ts
and was the only one not rebuilt to A1X.
The locomotive later became no.682
and on passing to the Southern Railway
in 1923, became Service Locomotive
no.380S until withdrawn in 1946. In this
photograph, "Boxhill" is in undercoat.

This locomotive is now in the care of the
National Railway Museum at York.


1: Clapham Museum: (b) August 1961 views


Llandudno and Colwyn Bay car no.6. This car
was originally built by the United Electric Car
Co. for Bournemouth Corporation in 1914 as
no.85. It has a 68-seat open-top body and
the system closed.
London Transport
Leyland REC Cub CR14 (FXT 120)
For full details see Section (a)



London Transport
AEC Renown 663 LT 165 (GK 5323)
For full details see Section (a)
In the same way that AEC developed the Q as
a way of gaining greater seating capacity.
Northern General built their SE (Side-engined)
series of buses. Built in 1934, no.604 (CN 6100)
was an SE6 six-wheeled vehicle with a Short
B45F body and made use of an American
Hercules engine. It is now in the care of the
Science Museum.



London Transport
AEC Q model 0762 Q 55 (BXD 576)
For full details see Section (a)
ST 821 was one of a series of about 900 standard
vehicles built for the LGOC and based on the AEC
Regent 661 chassis. It was one of only 4 painted
in green livery and was built for work with the
National fleet in Ware in 1931. After withdrawal
in January 1950, it was preserved for many
years in red livery but is now at the LT Museum
at Covent Garden restored to green.



After the formation of the LPTB in 1933,
the LGOC STL, based on the long wheelbase
AEC Regent I 661 (or 0661 if diesel) formed the
basis of the standard double-deck class of
which roughly 2500 were built in 1933-39.
Despite the large numbers, standardisation
was not as strict as on later classes and there
were many variants. STL 469 was from the earlier
series, delivered in July 1934 and remaining
in service until March 1954.
In 1931, London United Tramways became the
first London operator to convert tram services
to trolleybus operation in the Kingston area in
May 1931. Trolleybus 1 was the first of a series
of 60 production vehicles known as "Diddlers".
They were based on the AEC 663T chassis with
bodies by UCC, who also built the Feltham trams.
No.1 was delivered in January 1931. It became
Class A1 and retained its fleet number with
LPTB and LTE until being withdrawn in 1948.



After the Second world War, LTE bought 127
new trolleybuses of Class Q1 to replace older
vehicles, 1765-1841 being delivered in 1948
and 1842-91 in 1952. Trolleybus 1768 arrived
in February 1948 and was withdrawn in
April 1961 for sale to Spain.
Metropolitan Railway no. 23 was a Class A
4-4-0T built in 1866. These locomotives were
the first to work on the london Underground
in the 1860s. When London Transport was
formed in 1933, this locomotive became
LPTB no. L45 and was withdrawn from
service in 1948.



AJN 825 was a 1939 Bristol K5G with an ECW
L53R body first used by Westcliff-on-Sea and
later passing to Eastern National.
Leyland TD1 DR 4902 was built in 1929 for
Western National. It has a Leyland L51R
open staircase body. The vehicle is now
in the care of the Science Museum.


1: Clapham Museum: (c) April 1965 views


The replica of "Rocket" was built in 1929 to
mark the centenary of the Rainhill trials. At
the museum, it was mounted on a plinth
outside the entrance on the edge of
the pavement.
"Mallard", the holder of the world steam speed
record was one of Gresley's LNER A4 Pacifics.
It was built in 1938 as no.4468, later becoming
LNER 22 and British Railways 60022. It was
withdrawn for preservation in 1963 and, while
at the Clapham Museum, was in a prominent
position at the front of the building as 4468,
easily visible through the glass front of the
building. It later joined the National
Collection at the NRM in York.



"Butler-Henderson" was built in 1920 for the
Great Central Railway as no.506, a member
of the Large Director class of 4-4-0s. In LNER
days, it became no.5506, then 2660 in the
1946 renumbering scheme; in BR days, it
was numbered 62660. It was withdrawn in
1960, earmarked for the National Collection
and is now in the care of the NRM at York.
LSWR Class T3 4-4-0 no.563
For full details see Section (a)



"Wren" was one of a series of narrow gauge
0-4-0T locomotives built by the Lancashire &
Yorkshire Railway at Horwich Works. It was 1'6"
gauge and was used at Horwich Works on a
narrow-gauge internal railway system. "Wren"
was built in 1887 and survived at the works
until 1962.

2: Chessington Zoo

After withdrawal in 1952, LT Class HR2 1858
was sold privately. It was displayed in a
compound at the side of the car park
at Chessington Zoo for many years before
being transferred to the East Anglian
Transport Museum at Carlton Colville where
it has now been restored to running order.



3: London Transport Museum, Covent Garden


Feltham 355

Class E1 1025

AEC Renown LT 165

More details of the above vehicles are in Section 1 of this gallery.


LT trolleybus 1253 was a Class K2 vehicle,
based on a Leyland LPTB70 chassis. It
was delivered in February 1939 and
ran in service until April 1961.

Photographs © Geoff Bannister 2006
Back to Museums Index
Back to Transport of Delight Index